Create an account

The future of z0r

Waterfox 56.2.7.1, all extensions disabled:
Ruffle pages hang and don't load.

inb4 update your browser

Genoard
(03-12-2019, 01:44)xZaWarudo Wrote: Hi, i just wanted to ask if you still are pursuing this project because i too am working on preserving this website. Currently i am working on this alone, since i thought that this board was dead which it isn't to my surprise!
Have you had any success yet? I had the thought of archiving the loops somewhere in the back of my head for quite a while and considering how the site went down for a few days not so long ago i should really get on with it. Would be very sad for all the loops to be lost.

Hi, i am sorry for my extremly belated reply, i really don't have an excuse other that i had not checked in for a while on this board.
True! browsing through all the loops brings back memories Smile

Indeed! I've written a program with which i was able to bulk download all the .swf loops.
Next Step: Figuring out how to implement the loops into the modern web.

Currently i am thinking about to just convert them into .webm, this can be automated and is no problem. But they would lose their functions that comes with .swf clips. (Things like klicking on an object in the video, thus changing the content). Then there was a project from FireFox, where a team worked on a modern player, which is able to read .swf clips but they gave up on it as far as i know.

If anyone has an idea for a workaround, or knows about a player that is not discontinued in developement, i'll be glad to hear about it.

Or maybe the admin comes back one day!

Edit: Lol i should've read the other posts here first, did not expect this topic coming back in 2020 tbh. sorry. Ya'll have pretty neat ideas, i'll play a bit around with them and see if i come up with something, too.

z0rde please come bacck Sad

(03-08-2020, 15:41)xZaWarudo Wrote: Genoard
(03-12-2019, 01:44)xZaWarudo Wrote: Hi, i just wanted to ask if you still are pursuing this project because i too am working on preserving this website. Currently i am working on this alone, since i thought that this board was dead which it isn't to my surprise!
Have you had any success yet? I had the thought of archiving the loops somewhere in the back of my head for quite a while and considering how the site went down for a few days not so long ago i should really get on with it. Would be very sad for all the loops to be lost.

Hi, i am sorry for my extremly belated reply, i really don't have an excuse other that i had not checked in for a while on this board.
True! browsing through all the loops brings back memories Smile

Indeed! I've written a program with which i was able to bulk download all the .swf loops.
Next Step: Figuring out how to implement the loops into the modern web.

Currently i am thinking about to just convert them into .webm, this can be automated and is no problem. But they would lose their functions that comes with .swf clips. (Things like klicking on an object in the video, thus changing the content). Then there was a project from FireFox, where a team worked on a modern player, which is able to read .swf clips but they gave up on it as far as i know.

If anyone has an idea for a workaround, or knows about a player that is not discontinued in developement, i'll be glad to hear about it.

Or maybe the admin comes back one day!

Edit: Lol i should've read the other posts here first, did not expect this topic coming back in 2020 tbh. sorry. Ya'll have pretty neat ideas, i'll play a bit around with them and see if i come up with something, too.
Yeah i also managed to grab myself a backup archive of all the z0r SWFs along the way. Also, fuck modern web. It's all bloated as fuck shit "web apps" anyway. If it comes to this, i'd rather use older browser/flash player versions and keep my ability to browse flash as it was intended instead of relying on hastily hacked together tools that miss functionality.

Hi there, 

I did some research and maybe this info can help. 
Code:
Swivel.exe 0.swf -o D:\0.mp4

I can offer to convert all the flash files if that helps.

Cheers,
Tyl

Hello everyone, hoping eins can see this as well.

I've experimented with improving parts of the z0r website when a shutdown due to the death of Flash seemed inevitable. This involved downloading all loops (easy-peasy), creating thumbnails (tricky), extracting the audio/video source from index.z0r.de (RIP) and the disqus comments (easy) and experimenting with extraction of Flash asset files for conversion.

Many months later I've learned Ruffle is a thing and that z0r is using it. Yesterday someone else showed me how to make autoplay work with it, see https://bats.science/z0r/ for a demo. That website is also running a newer snapshot which improves Flash compatibility considerably. Therefore I wish for the following:

- Update Ruffle to the latest snapshot
- Make it autoplay, be it via config (see the API at https://github.com/ruffle-rs/ruffle/blob...-player.ts) or some custom JS (see source code of https://bats.science/z0r/)
- Resurrect index.z0r.de and allow users to submit corrections to the data
- Finally, for the most controversial one: Default to HTML5 and allow people to switch to Flash for 100% compatibility. We're close to the official EOL anyway.

Happy Christmas time and may this year end soon.

Thanks for the autoplay notice! I actually talked to the ruffle devs about this some time ago and was told that it is not possible anymore, great news!
I'll also make sure to update to the latest ruffle version.

As to switching to ruffle completely... maybe at the end of this month. But i'll make an option to still show the original flash loops.

/Edit:
Apparently auto-play is already automatical in the newest ruffle nightly, didnt need to change anything and it seems to work. Very nice Mr. Green
There is a theory wich states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Well, today is the last day. In a few hours, only around half of the loops on z0r will still work (via Ruffle) Thankfully, the ratio of good loops to bad loops is far greater among those still working than those that don't work. Most notably, wolfus's cancerous garbage no longer works while all of the [Image: aGZc1al.png] loops still work. However, most of the freeway cola loops don't seem to be working either, sadly.

I've also noticed that the newer loops are much more likely to be broken than the older ones.
Where is the king? [Image: u60P2Qh.png]

Hi there. Im brand new here and fairly clueless about the site. Want to say thanks to everyone who archives the original .swf files. If there is ever a bulk download option for the saved swfs please let me know. 

So far ive heard about Ruffle, Waflash, Apache Royale, and CheerpX being the future of flash on web sites. Ive also found that SuperNova SWF Emulator works... for Chrome. There is talk about improvements for all these things.

I heard about a browser intended for flash called Puffin. It also can work with mobile devices but is sadly cloud based.

Flash is being archived. Join in.
https://bluemaxima.org/flashpoint/
https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_flash

And here is one of the new posts from 2021!!!
First of all, good to hear from you all! Hope you all had a great start into this year so far! Smile
Second of all, I think it's really awesome that after so many years, things still are happening around here. I am actually in awe that the admin worked, is working and will be working on this (now 13 years old?) project! (Unlike me, who drops all his developed WebApps and projects after some time...), really cool!  Big Grin

Reading through the recent comments in this thread and the changes to the website regarding ruffle, it seems like a pretty awesome step.
Checked out ruffle on GitHub and saw they accept donations, i believe eins already mentioned it, but just to add this thought into this thread, too: conversion of loops maybe could be boostet by contributing to the ruffle project over on GitHub. There is an option for Donating 25$/month to get z0rs' loops prioritized (If there is still interest in getting help, it's an interesting thought.)

Because if my brain functionality is not completly compromised by the lack of sleep that i have, there are loops that are broken and require attention. Unfortunatly i'm a complete webdev noob and am no use when it comes to contributing to the code ruffle is written in.

Forum software by © MyBB Theme © iAndrew 2016