z0r Forums
w0bm is dead, long live z0r! - Printable Version

+- z0r Forums (https://board.z0r.de)
+-- Forum: English (https://board.z0r.de/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: z0r general (https://board.z0r.de/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: w0bm is dead, long live z0r! (/showthread.php?tid=3889)

w0bm is dead, long live z0r! - Zincoshine - 26-02-2019

Who else is back here now that w0bm finally imploded?

I'm thinking that this website can implement a webm version rather than letting it die in the end of 2020

By the way, Eins, GDPR doesn't block you from using ads... put the ads back, you need the money.

RE: w0bm is dead, long live z0r! - eins - 26-02-2019

Oh, what happened to w0bm?

Jeah, webm should be possible. I actually thought about it a lot, i dont know really know what i should do...
1. preserve z0r and make a parallel site with webm content
2. convert as much as possible to webm and make z0r completely a webm site.
3. allow webm beside flash...

I talked with a lot of people about this, i know flash support is officially ending at the end of 2020. This means chrome and firefox will both completely remove their flash support und you will need to use old browsers to view flash content (and z0r) at this point. Kind of sucks, but not much we can do about it.

Regarding possibility 2... this takes a lot of time, as good conversions to webm pretty much always need manual work. I would likely create a site where the community can submit converted loops so maybe we can get z0r recreated as good as possible in web.

Let me know what you think about it.

/edit: Oh, and regarding ads... dont worry. I'm not planning on shutting z0r down any time soon and will pay the server costs myself for now. Im still not really sure about all that GDPR stuff and would rather not count as a "business" for now.
Once im more sure about that i may put the ads back, but for now its fine.

RE: w0bm is dead, long live z0r! - Terresk - 08-03-2019

>Who else is back here now that w0bm finally imploded?

wow rude, nothing imploded just planned maintenance :>

It was just in a planned maintenance because the server needed a overhaul and a more stable operating system, with RAID 1 it takes 16hrs to resync the drives, thats why it was offline for so long, my lil baby wont die so easily.

I am very exited to see the future of z0r, z0r in the first place was the reason I started so lets hope it will be something great!

RE: w0bm is dead, long live z0r! - Zincoshine - 18-07-2019

Well, w0bm is dead again and this time it looks like it is for good.

(26-02-2019, 22:57)eins Wrote: Oh, what happened to w0bm?

Jeah, webm should be possible. I actually thought about it a lot, i dont know really know what i should do...
1. preserve z0r and make a parallel site with webm content
2. convert as much as possible to webm and make z0r completely a webm site.
3. allow webm beside flash...

I talked with a lot of people about this, i know flash support is officially ending at the end of 2020. This means chrome and firefox will both completely remove their flash support und you will need to use old browsers to view flash content (and z0r) at this point. Kind of sucks, but not much we can do about it.

Regarding possibility 2... this takes a lot of time, as good conversions to webm pretty much always need manual work. I would likely create a site where the community can submit converted loops so maybe we can get z0r recreated as good as possible in web.

Let me know what you think about it.

/edit: Oh, and regarding ads... dont worry. I'm not planning on shutting z0r down any time soon and will pay the server costs myself for now. Im still not really sure about all that GDPR stuff and would rather not count as a "business" for now.
Once im more sure about that i may put the ads back, but for now its fine.
What you need to do is begin building a w0bm version besides the flash version (begin putting up webms) and then when Chrome finally kills flash you simply remove the flash version of this site. In order for this to work, it is crucial you begin as soon as possible with uploading w0bms so that you end up with a site that has too little content (in webms). Unfourtunately, yes, some of the flash content will be lost forever but a lot is being converted to webms by random people around the world. At least the death of flash will mean the death of wolfus and all his terrible garbage.

You have a massive amount of potential towards building the most popular webm website because all the other sides are just absolutely awful while z0r is and has always been clean and simple (with the exception of that very brief time you tried background flashing lights).

tl;dr: option 3

RE: w0bm is dead, long live z0r! - Vladimir - 25-07-2019

I had written something here, but I deleted it in hindsight. I'll be gone from here – as the account cannot be deleted (by myself), I've given it a nice tombstone-like touch.
Farewell.